Recent Water Damage Posts
Winter Water Damage
For the Philadelphia area and most of the northern United States winter freezing temperatures are always a cause for concern.
Besides the fact that it is freezing to us, it is also freezing our pipes! Frozen pipes many times lead to broken pipes and during these times of frozen pipes the restoration industry is swamped with work. When this happens we are lucky to have the backing of SERVPRO to help us in this time! Whether is it the polar vortex or just a week of ridiculously cold weather, SERVPRO franchises are always available to help out others who are at max work capacity.
This gives you the ability to have quick service and know that you are still getting industry-leading equipment, set-up, monitoring and restoration services.
Hurricane Preparedness - Be Ready
The two keys to weather safety is to PREPARE for the risks and to ACT on those preparations when alerted by emergency officials.
Before a Hurricane:
- To begin preparing, you should build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Know your surroundings
- Learn the elevation level of your property and whether the land is flood-prone.
- Identify levees and dams in your area and determine whether they pose a hazard to you.
- Learn community hurricane evacuation routes and how to find higher ground.
- Make plans to secure your property
- Cover all of your home's windows
- Install straps or additional clips to securely fasten your roof to the frame structure.
- Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Reinforce your garage
- Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans and anything else that is not tied down.
- Determine how and where to secure your boat.
- Install a generator for emergencies.
- If in a high-rise building, when high winds are present, be prepared to take shelter on a lower floor because wind conditions increase with height, and in a small interior room without windows.
- Consider building a safe room.
Water damage from a flood
If you live in an area that often experiences severe weather and flooding, you should make flood safety a priority in your home. Use the following tips to help keep you, your family and your home safe during a flood.
1. Make an Emergency Kit
Depending on the severity of the storm you are expecting, your emergency kit may vary from time to time. However, there are some items that should always be included, such as flashlights, radios and batteries in case the power goes out. Canned food and bottled water are good additions as well.
2. Have an Evacuation Plan
While an emergency kit can be helpful for less damaging storms, you need to know how to leave your home safely if the weather becomes a threat. Create a flood safety plan with your family that includes each member as well as any pets. Make sure to practice ahead of time so you are all familiar with the procedure.
3. Do Not Travel Through Flood Waters
If you do need to evacuate your home, only travel on roads that have not been flooded. Even if the waters look shallow, there may be road damage or debris lurking underneath. Depending on the speed and depth of the moving water, cars can be carried away resulting in a dangerous situation.
4. Have Your Home Cleaned As Soon As Possible
The need for flood safety does not end when the flood does. Flood waters can cause contamination and might make your family sick if it is not completely removed. If water from a flood has entered your home, it is a good idea to hire an emergency remediation service to help with cleanup as well as any necessary repairs. Throw away any food that has been in contact with the water.
It can be difficult to know what to do during an emergency situation. Keeping these safety tips in mind will be beneficial to you and your family the next time you find yourself expecting severe weather. If your home does suffer a water damage call the professionals at SERVPRO of Lansdale, Warminster, and Blue Bell at 215.674.8222
Water Damage Odors
After a water damage in your home, you may be facing a variety of problems. However, one that you may not expect are the odors a water damage can create. Mold growth, sewer water, and debris can all leave foul smells behind, even after the water is drained away. If you have recently experienced a flood in your home, there are a few ways to sniff out the source of these smells so you can have them eliminated.
1. Musty Smells
After floodwater enters your home, it may be absorbed by drywall and other porous building materials. This can cause mold to grow in the interior walls, especially if they contain insulation. Mold can cause a musty, foul odor due to the mycotoxins it can release. In most cases, the stronger the musty smell, the more serious the mold growth invasion.
2. Dirt or Earthy Odors
When outdoor flooding invades your home, it can also bring mud, clay and other types of dirt along with it. Earthy or wormy odors can be left behind in your walls or under carpeting, where they can linger for weeks afterward. Having porous building materials replaced can alleviate this issue. Consider having drywall and molding torn out and the rooms professionally cleaned before any reconstruction takes place.
3. Sewer Smells
Few odors are as unpleasant as those that come from a sewer. If your home experienced a flood due to a sewage loss, the bitter, foul smell could remain long after the water is drained away. Calling in a waterdamage restoration service may give you a number of options for removing this smell, from the use of ozone machines to special cleaning techniques that typically cannot be found elsewhere.
Mold growth, dirt and foul sewer smells can make your residence smell unbearable after a flood. Learning where these smells come from and how to eliminate them can restore your happy home. Please call the water damage mitigation specialist at SERVPRO of Lansdale, Warminster, and Blue Bell if your in need of odor removal or water damage mitigation. 215.368.4110
Sprinkler Systems in your Multi-Family Structure
The sprinkler system in your multi-family structure is made to go off when it senses extreme heat (174 degrees Fahrenheit or above). The heads contain a temperature-sensitive mechanism that can only be activated when the temperature at the sprinkler head exceeds the allowable range, and they operate independently, with those directly exposed being set off. Most fires are extinguished, or controlled, by three sprinklers or less, but the damage from just one sprinkler head can be significant: a sprinkler head can release from 15 to 40 gallons of water per minute and can fill an entire bathtub in under two minutes!
Prompt and professional decision-making following a sprinkler discharge in your multi-family structure is going to be essential; the actions you take in the first 24-48 hours will save you significant time and money in minimizing the water damage and help to eliminate the possibility of a mold colony getting started on your property. If your tenants complain of odors or signs of mold, respond immediately, and use professional help for mold remediation, should it become an issue.
The water in a sprinkler system is stagnant and non-potable and has absorbed oils and other contaminants within the piping, so cleanup actions will involve surface cleaning from stains, and elimination of odors, in addition to water damage restoration and moisture remediation measures. Where fabric and textiles are affected, prompt action must also be taken to avoid permanent staining and to preserve these articles.
The hard, non-porous surfaces in the condominium units, such as plastics, vinyl, ceramic tile, etc. will need to be done with a mild detergent followed by complete drying. Employ dehumidifiers for wet areas and during wetter seasons, as well, for comprehensive and complete drying.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Lansdale, Warminster, and Blue Bell will arrive equipped with specialized instrumentation to facilitate comprehensive project investigation, design and implementation, and will complete your damage recovery in a timely and excellent manner. We are experts in water damage restoration, fire damage restoration, mold remediation, commercial restoration, and much more! If your multi-family structure suffers a water damage please call the pros at 215.368.4110
Sources for Commercial Water Damages
Planning ahead can keep your commercial property safe from water damage. Just keeping an eye on the places where water can become an issue for your business will help you stay ahead of the game. Some of the top sources for commercial water damage can include:
- STORMS: Winter and Spring bring lots of water, either by steady rains, or ice and snow, and all that water can cause a lot of problems. Make an inspection around your place of business; are you prepared for wet weather? Take note of weather stripping and poorly fitting doors and windows and the drainage for your parking areas and entryways as well as all warehousing and manufacturing outbuildings.
- EQUIPMENT FAILURES. Unexpected events such as a burst pipe in your parking area or under a sink, or a broken or misdirected landscaping sprinkler can easily create problems by sending large amounts of water to the wrong places. In shops and warehouses, water damage can come about from broken pipes or equipment failures, such as pumps, etc.
- WATER MAINS. These kinds of situations come from circumstances that are out of your control, but you do want to keep them in mind. Make sure your parking areas and entryways can stay open in the event that your area streets are flooded due to a burst water main. You know you will have to wait for the city or county to come and correct the problem, and you want to stay in business.
- LEAKS. After wet weather, you may realize you have smaller water damage issues that you hadn’t noticed before. The roof of your office area, your warehouse, or your storage area needs to be properly cared for as well to protect your product, machinery, and office furniture from water damage through leaks and seepage.
If you have sustained water damages to your home or commercial property, the team here at SERVPRO Lansdale, Warminster, and Blue Bell is ready to help in any way we can. We have the expertise to handle water and fire damage and specialize in mold remediation
Water Damage Prevention
Rain, rain, go away. We all know the months are coming when we will start to think of these words to that childhood song. Rain is necessary to nourish flowers and trees, and that’s great! But sometimes all that water can cause damage to your home or business.
Is your business or home ready? Let’s talk about ways to prepare.
Take a look at rain gutters. Clogged gutters will cause rainwater to back up, damaging your roof and walls.
Do a roof inspection. Are any shingles loose or damaged? Replace any that could be an issue to protect attic or workspace from water damage.
Check interior walls and ceilings for signs of water damage; this could be an indication of roof leaks.
Trim any trees and bushes next to your Belle Meade business. Be sure to cut back branches that could become waterlogged and break off, damaging property.
Ensure that all doors and windows are secure, and that weatherstripping is in good condition.
Look for water collecting around the foundation of your home or business, and take steps to redirect it, if needed, to avoid water damage.
If your home or business is located near flooding areas, stockpiling sandbags to protect your property and parking areas would be a good idea.
Make sure the city drains near your home or business are clear of debris and earth. Preparedness in the event of any kind of extreme weather is always a good idea, to protect your business and property from loss and damage. Taking the time to assess your situation and thinking ahead about what may come is a good way to keep your investment secure.
Call our team at SERVPRO of Lansdale, 215-368-4110 anytime, whether you need assistance with water damage, fire damage or mold prevention.
courtesy of LinkedIn
Faster to your Lansdale Water Damage Event
This flooded basement was caused by a frozen pipe that burst.
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Lansdale provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Lansdale arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 215-368-4110
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Lansdale
SERVPRO of Lansdale specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property