Fire Threats to Be Aware of In Your Restaurant
A restaurant kitchen fire can happen in no time, and in that environment, there are many fire threats to be aware of. Awareness and caution can help to keep fires from starting, and also be vital in keeping the fire from spreading, threatening peoples’ lives and damaging expensive property and equipment.
- The first fire threat you will think of will be the ovens. If there is a fire in an oven, close the door immediately and turn it off, leaving the door closed. Lack of oxygen will suffocate the flames. If the oven continues to smoke and you think the fire may have continued, call the fire department right away.
- The next threat will be your stovetops. When it is a fire in a cooking pan or pot, use an oven mitt or other protection to put the lid on right away, and move it off the burner. Turn off the stove and wait for the lack of oxygen to stop the flames inside your pot. If you are not able to safely put the lid on the flaming pan, or if there is no lid readily available, use the kitchen fire extinguisher. Always aim at the base of the fire, not the flames themselves.
- A major fire threat in any restaurant kitchen is going to be a grease fire. Never throw water on this type of fire; water repels grease and will splash, spreading the fire by splattering the grease. Try one of these methods instead:
- If the fire is small, put on the lid and turn off the burner.
- Dump baking soda on it. Do not use flour; it can explode or cause the fire to expand and thread.
- Smother the fire with a wet towel or other large, wet cloth.
- Use a fire extinguisher.
- Swatting the fire with a towel, apron, or other material is likely to fan the flames and spread the fire.
- If the fire is spreading and you don’t have control, evacuate your kitchen and restaurant premises and call emergency personnel.
For cleanup after any type of fire, the SERVPRO of Lansdale, Warminster, and Blue Bell is always ready to help. We have all the training, skills, and equipment necessary to get you back in business as soon as possible. We are also water damage and mold remediation specialists.