Recent Mold Remediation Posts

Mildew vs. Mold

4/2/2019 (Permalink)

Mold and mildew are an unpleasant pair that no homeowner wants to encounter. While they seem to go hand in hand, they have some important differences. Understanding the differences is key to preventing mildew or mold damage and keeping your home pristine. Here are some ways to recognize the distinction between these two.

One reason people confuse mold and mildew is their many similarities. Some obvious and less obvious include:

• Both like warm, moist areas
• Both can create unpleasant smells
• Both are fungi

And of course, both are a fungus that no homeowner wants to see. That’s where the similarities end, however.

What is Mildew?

Mildew is best described as a surface fungus. It often appears as a patch of gray on a moist surface. Mildew growth is particularly common in bathrooms, where it favors shower curtains. Fortunately, surface mildew is easily treated with cleaner, a scrubbing brush and some elbow grease.

What is Mold?

Mold damage is like mildew in that it is a fungus and is commonly found in areas that are often wet, such as near pipe condensation. Mold comes in many colors, however, ranging from black to green. It’s also usually a sign of a much larger infestation than a spot of mildew is. Mold is also occasionally slimy, unlike mildew. Mold can be a lot harder to truly eradicate because it tends to have deep roots and isn’t removed with common household cleaner. Mold can destroy furniture and even walls, so it’s important to take evidence of the fungus seriously.

What To Do?

Whichever of these you see, it’s a good idea to act quickly to minimize mildew or mold damage. Removing the source of moisture and cleaning surface fungus is a good start. For a permanent change, talk to a mold remediation company to get rid of the mold growth you see and the leftover spores you don’t see.  

If you find yourself dealing with a Mildew or Mold issue in your home or business please call the professionals at SERVPRO of Lansdale, Warminster, and Blue Bell at 215.368.4110

Mold Growth Prevention

4/4/2018 (Permalink)

We all know that a humidity level in your home that is too high can promote mold growth. Mold grows quickly in damp conditions, establishing a significant colony within 24-48 hours. Allergens and irritants are released as it spreads, and in some cases the situation can become toxic to those with respiratory problems. Children, older people, and pets can be especially susceptible to this danger.

Using a dehumidifier in your home can help to prevent this situation. Optimal humidity levels are between 30-50%, with 45% being the best level possible. A dehumidifier will help to maintain your indoor humidity at a comfortable level, which saves you money and helps to stunt or prevent any mold growth. Small units are available at reasonable prices, so you can put one in every room of the house that is devoted to water: the bath, laundry, and the kitchen!

Making sure your HVAC system is running at its most efficient will help to keep down your humidity levels, as well. Vents should be cleaned before the wetter months and replacing filters before every season is always a good idea.

Running fans when it’s humid outside helps to keep the damp down and cool you off at the same time. Circulating air keeps everything drier. If it’s more humid inside than out, crack a window.

Give your houseplants some outside time, as well; potting soil is wet, of course, since you must water your plants, so putting them out in the sunshine can be helpful. The leaves of a houseplant can also sustain mold growth, and you will want to keep an eye on that. There are natural solutions that can be applied to take care of this issue.

Call SERVPRO of Lansdale at (215) 368-4110 for all your larger cleanup projects after a fire or flood. We are also experts in mold remediation!

courtesy of LinkedIn